Debra gives Feldenkrais® sessions to children of all ages—from infants through teenagers—who have movement, sensory, emotional, or behavioral challenges. Many of these children benefit from hands on sensory input, resulting in a clearer sense of self, calming anxiety, improved physical ability, and supporting their individual learning processes.
Photo: Raquel Frechette
Debra’s work is distinguished by having worked with children in a variety of different contexts:
- Private clients in NYC area.
- Feldenkrais Practitioner - Working with children who have motor, sensory, emotional or behavioral challenges at The Field Center’s Clinic for Children’s Integrated Development as part of the New York Feldenkrais Institute. www.thefieldcenter.org
- Child’Space Educator - Working with infants and parents in the Feldenkrais based Child’Space Method, created by Chava Shelhav, in Brooklyn and Manhattan. bondprojectnyc.com
- Creative Movement Teacher - Ages 2-5 years old, First Presbyterian Nursery School in Manhattan.
- Dance Professor - College students, Queens College. Courses included Principles of Teaching which focused on teaching creative movement to children.
- Shadowing a Child - Preschool, First Presbyterian Nursery School.
- Movement teacher - Preschool, Rockefeller University Children’s School.
- Classroom Floater and Movement Teacher - Pre-school, The Episcopal School in Manhattan.
- Dance Instructor - Dance schools, ages 5-13 years old, 92nd Street Y and others.
Debra Wanner is a dance artist and movement specialist. She was a long-standing dance professor at Queens College and has taught creative movement at First Presbyterian Church Nursery School for over 20 years. Debra is trained in the movement-based modalities of Feldenkrais Method and the Child’Space Method, and is a practitioner at The Field Center for Children’s Integrated Development.